This Condo in Boston, MA recently sold for $345,000.
This is a Mid-Rise style home and features 4 total rooms, 2 full baths, 2 bedrooms, 0.03 acres, and was sold by
Office – Anthony Joseph Real Estate LLC
Smoke detectors save lives. Many people may be lulled into a false sense of security thinking they have smoke detectors in their home. Smoke detectors that are not installed or maintained properly are not safe. Here are a few tips on what you need to know about buying, installing, and maintaining your smoke detectors:
What should I buy?
The National Burn Institute recommends only buying smoke alarms tested by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). You will also want to make sure the smoke detector has a battery backup. Smoke detectors that don’t work in a power outage are no good. Consider buying a combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector, they may be more expensive, but well worth the money.
There are two main types of smoke alarms, which are categorized by the type of smoke detection sensor used in the alarm. They are ionization and photoelectric.
Ionization smoke detectors
Ionization detectors respond quickly to flaming fires with smaller combustion particles. They contain a chamber with two plates that generate a small, continuous electric current. When smoke enters the ionization chamber, the smoke particles disrupt the current flow, which triggers the alarm.
Photoelectric smoke detectors
Photoelectric detectors respond more quickly to smoldering fires. They use a light beam and light receptor. When smoke is present between the light and receptor, the photocell sensor triggers the alarm.
Combination smoke detectors
The best smoke alarms can sense both types of fires (flaming and smoldering). For the highest degree of safety and preparedness, there are combination smoke alarms also that combine ionization and photoelectric detectors into one unit, called dual sensor smoke alarms.
Check with your local fire department to see what kind of detector they recommend.
Installation and Maintenance
Smoke detectors should be installed on each floor, outside of every bedroom and sleeping area and near any air vents. Detectors should also be installed high on walls or on ceilings because smoke rises. Avoid installing detectors near windows, doors or where there are openings where smoke can escape.
Check with your local fire department for specific regulations on the placement of detectors.
Smoke detectors have a lifespan of about seven to 10 years, and it’s important to replace old detectors according to the model’s recommendations. Test your alarm’s batteries monthly and remember to replace all batteries at least once a year. Clean and vacuum the grill of your detector to get rid of dust and debris. Other maintenance includes a monthly testing of the alarm and cleaning with a vacuum hose about once every month.
Westborough MA Real EstateWestborough, MA - $355,000
19 Glen St - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Westborough, MA - $459,995
28 Simeon Howard Way - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/1Westborough, MA - $459,995
23 Simeon Howard Way - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/1Westborough, MA - $459,995
38 Simeon Howard Way - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/1
Shrewsbury MA Real EstateShrewsbury, MA - $185,000
62 Lakeside Dr - Land - Acres:0.158 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $185,000
66 Lakeside Dr - Land - Acres:0.139 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $184,900
9 Eaglehead Ter - Condo - Garden - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:214 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $139,900
24 Williamsburg Court - Condo - Garden - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:114 hours ago
Southborough MA Real EstateSouthborough, MA - $1,100,000
7 Wm Colleary Ln - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:514 hours agoSouthborough, MA - $1,399,900
3 Barn Ln - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:5 - Baths:3/1Southborough, MA - $364,900
19 Brook Lane - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Southborough, MA - $369,000
8 Rockpoint Road - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Wellesley MA Real EstateWellesley, MA - $3,650,000
43 Bristol Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:5 - Baths:8/210 hours agoWellesley, MA - $2,899,000
12 Arden Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:13 - Beds:6 - Baths:6/117 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,680
646 Worcester St - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Wellesley, MA - $1,099,000
19 Kingsbury St - Single-Family - Farmhouse - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1
- Buying a Home
- Help Around the House
- Home Design
- Home Improvements
- Home Security
- Market Trends
- Money Saving Tips
- Moving Tips
- Open Houses
- Pets and Your Home
- Real estate
- Real Estate For Sale
- Real Estate Marketing
- Selling Your Home
- Special Real Estate Situations
- To Your Health
- New to the Market in Northborough March 9, 2014Interested in living in Northborough? Click here to view the newest listings in town. […]
- Westborough Home of the Week: 59 Lackey St. March 9, 2014This is 59 Lackey St., a four bedroom, three bathroom home constructed in the early 1980s. […]
- Money market fund assets fall by $4.1 billion March 7, 2014Total U.S. money market mutual fund assets fell by $4.08 billion to $2.68 trillion for the week that ended Wednesday, according to the Investment Company Institute . […]
- New to the Market in Northborough March 9, 2014
- Paul Campaniello to Run for Re-election of Shrewsbury Housing Authority March 8, 2014March 6, 2014 - Paul Campaniello today announced that he is seeking reelection for the office of Shrewsbury Housing Authority at the Town of Shrewsbury's Annual Election on May 6, 2014. […]
- Frank Stille Running for Reelection to Library Board of Trustees March 8, 2014As a candidate for re-election to one of three seats on the Shrewsbury Public Library Board of Library Trustees, I'm writing to ask for your support in the upcoming Town election. […]
- Shrewsbury Troop 114 Celebrates Eagle Scout March 7, 2014Mitchell Claflin Porter, 19, was formally recognized as an Eagle Scout by Shrewsbury Boy Scout Troop 114 during an Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremony on December 29, 2013 at the First Congregational Church of Shrewsbury. […]
- Paul Campaniello to Run for Re-election of Shrewsbury Housing Authority March 8, 2014
- More March 1, 2014Soutborough Public Works employees are under fire this week after surveillance footage surfaces showing several town plow drivers burying another vehicle under a pile of snow. […]
- Caught on tape: Snow plow buries truck on purpose February 28, 2014Some plow drivers were clearing a Southborough, Mass. parking lot when officials say they buried a state-owned truck under a mound of snow on purpose. […]
- McAuliffe Charter School Applications Due Today at 5 p.m. February 28, 2014Today, Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. is the deadline to submit an application for students who wish to be members of the sixth grade class for the 2014-15 school year at the Christa McAuliffe Regional Public Charter School located in Framingham. […]
- More March 1, 2014
- Nail art, fashion for brides, and - Read My Pins' March 9, 2014The hottest nail artist in Cambridge, a new bridal boutique-within-a-store in Chestnut Hill, and "Read My Pins" comes to Wellesley. […]
- ACR Now Accepting Scholarship Applications for the 2014 RLI Leadership Summit March 7, 2014Newswise - Radiology residents and fellows who want to advance their careers through the innovative leadership training the Radiology Leadership Institute offers can now apply for one of five scholarships to attend the 2014 RLI Leadership Summit - formerly known as the RLI Annual Event. […]
- The Do Not Call List Scam March 6, 2014This is National Consumers Protection Week . This is a national campaign to help consumers make better-informed decisions and avoid being scammed. […]
- Nail art, fashion for brides, and - Read My Pins' March 9, 2014