Do you have a home buying strategy? Buying a home can be a risky and expensive proposition so you will want to make sure you have a plan. In order to put a plan in place you will want to ask ask the following questions:
How long do I plan to live here?
You will need to consider how long you plan to live in your home to determine if it makes financial sense. Consider what changes you might make during that time frame. Will you be starting a family? Will elderly parents need to move in with you? You may need a larger home or need to find a community with better amenities for children, and that will increase the likelihood of you moving.
How is the local market?
All real estate is local. Find out all you can about the neighborhoods you’re considering. Look at the inventory of homes, how have properties gone up or down in value, and how much homes are selling for compared to the listing price.
What is my financial stability?
Consider factors like the stability of your job. Will you still be there in five years? What kind of future does your industry have? Does climbing up the career ladder mean you might have to move elsewhere to get ahead? Look at your current debts and income, not your future salary, to determine whether you can afford to buy.
Owning a home gives a huge sense of self fulfillment and accomplishment, however, it welcomes you to a new world of expenditures. Every home at some point needs one form of repair or an other. Be it major or minor, when hiring someone else to perform the repair, you are sure to spend money. On the flip side, if you know how to perform some of these repairs yourself, hiring an expert is certainly not necessary and some cash can be saved.
In light of the above, here are some home repairs you can do with ease without the services of a professional. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to begin working.
Doors: Doors perform basic functions and are everywhere in the home. They add class and style. In some cases, weather elements can affect doors causing them to swell or shrink. If they expand, they will not close flush with the door frame. This would require the use of a carpenter’s hand plane to reduce the thickness of the wood. Before doing this, please consider the fact that doors may return to normal when the season is over. To do this, make sure the door is firmly held in a position that would allow for the easy removal of excessive wood. Another door issue is how their hinges squeak when they begin oxidizing. Simply applying lubricant to the hinge, will take care of this.
Application of Caulking: This is the water proof barrier between the shower, sink, bath tub and the surfaces that surround them. It acts as a sealant to prevent moisture damage. Over time, this may require replacement. The surface and old caulking needs to be cleaned and prepared before the new application. Old residue can be scraped off with a razor blade or dissolved with solvent. Clean the surface with paint thinner to ensure it is completely dried. Apply caulking sufficiently to ensure it covers the widest gaps in your project.
Leaking Faucet: Fixing a leaky faucet is a common house hold repair. As insignificant as it may seem, when you add up all the water drops leaked over the weeks, it is enormous. Do you want to fix a leaking faucet without the intervention of a professional? It is an easy process. Here are the steps.
- Shut off the main water supply and unscrew the faucet handle.
- With pliers, unscrew the packing nuts and the screws that hold the washers in place.
- Examine the washer, if it is deteriorated extensively, you should replace it. Some washers are rare so you may need to look a little harder.
- When you find the ideal washer, replace it and reverse the steps above to install the new one.
You will be amazed on how much you will save by engaging in home repairs. Apart from it being fun, you will learn a lot. The internet provides a wealth of do-it-yourself videos for the novice handyman.
Westborough MA Real EstateWestborough, MA - $279,900
10 State St - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/11 hour agoWestborough, MA - $379,900
71 Nourse St - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/1Westborough, MA - $304,900
57 Fisher St - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Westborough, MA - $329,900
6 Grant Road - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Westborough, MA - $239,000
241 E Main St - Condo - Detached - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1
Shrewsbury MA Real EstateShrewsbury, MA - $259,900
22 Harriet Ave - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:23 minutes agoShrewsbury, MA - $269,900
75 Brookdale Circle - Condo - Townhouse, Half-Duplex - Rooms:9 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/12 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $359,900
20 Raymond Ave - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:213 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $226,900
17 Commonwealth Ave - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:115 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $450,000
52 Minuteman Way - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/117 hours ago
Southborough MA Real EstateSouthborough, MA - $379,000
224 Boston Rd - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2Southborough, MA - $439,000
40 Flagg Rd - Single-Family - Multi-Level - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Southborough, MA - $649,900
48 Breakneck Hill Rd - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/1Southborough, MA - $650,000
154 Main St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/1Southborough, MA - $399,900
81 Southville Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
Wellesley MA Real EstateWellesley, MA - $725,000
60 Prospect Street - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/144 minutes agoWellesley, MA - $5,595,000
190 Pond Rd - Single-Family - Other - Rooms:14 - Beds:5 - Baths:6/21 hour agoWellesley, MA - $1,650,000
15 Leewood Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/13 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,250,000
9 Vane St - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:3Wellesley, MA - $1,795,000
19 Beechwood Terrace - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:4/1
- Buying a Home
- Help Around the House
- Home Design
- Home Improvements
- Home Security
- Market Trends
- Money Saving Tips
- Moving Tips
- Open Houses
- Pets and Your Home
- Real estate
- Real Estate For Sale
- Real Estate Marketing
- Selling Your Home
- Special Real Estate Situations
- To Your Health
- Westborough Hair Cuttery Supports Local Women in Domestic Violence Shelters April 17, 2014Giving back to a woman in need this spring can be as simple as getting a haircut in time for Mother's Day. […]
- Westborough Will Get Help Fixing Potholes April 15, 2014Westborough is getting $116,000 from the state to help pay for repairing potholes. […]
- Candle Dipping at Westborough Wicks April 14, 2014Come and hand dip your very own pair of taper candles! Choose up to four different colors, perfect for an Easter gift, table setting, or early Mother's Day gift. […]
- Westborough Hair Cuttery Supports Local Women in Domestic Violence Shelters April 17, 2014
- Shrewsbury Residents Asked Once Again to Step Up for 46th Annual Walk for Hunger April 16, 2014Project Bread, a statewide anti-hunger organization committed to ending hunger in Massachusetts, has announced the 46th annual Walk For Hunger will take place on Sunday, May 4, 2014. […]
- Rosiello daughter: 'Mom lived in hell for Michael and I' April 16, 2014Keith Rosiello looks toward his family as he makes statement during the sentencing phase of the case. […]
- Shrewsbury Will Get Help Fixing Potholes April 15, 2014Shrewsbury is getting $147,000 from the state to help pay for repairing potholes. […]
- Shrewsbury Residents Asked Once Again to Step Up for 46th Annual Walk for Hunger April 16, 2014
- Marlborough Home of the Week: 196 Stearns Road April 13, 2014This is 196 Stearns Road, a four bedroom, three bathroom home constructed in the mid-1990s. […]
- Honor Roll- Fay School April 8, 2014The following Lexington residents were honored for their academic achievements during the winter term at Fay School. […]
- Skunk Tests Positive For Rabies April 8, 2014Framingham Police issued an alert today, April 7, that a skunk in the area of the Framingham/Southborough line tested positive for rabies. […]
- Marlborough Home of the Week: 196 Stearns Road April 13, 2014
- Questions about Wellesley override, senior center land purchase on May 20 ballot April 16, 2014Shall the town vote to approve the action of the representative town meeting whereby it was voted to acquire the property at 494 Washington Street? Yes Question 2 - Shall the Town of Wellesley be allowed to assess an additional $3,345,000 in real estate and personal property taxes for the purpose of funding public education and general government, ... (more) […]
- Parakeet found, Chihuahua mix lost in Wellesley April 15, 2014Wellesley animal control officer Sue Webb has put out the word that a young parakeet has been found in the Bates Elementary School area , while a Chihuahua mix that recently moved here from Tennessee has gone missing . […]
- Keys gets Noble High School Principal's Award April 15, 2014Noble High School Principal Joseph Findlay has announced that Elijah Keys, son of Robert and Sandi Keys of Berwick, has been selected to receive the 2014 Principal's Award. […]
- Questions about Wellesley override, senior center land purchase on May 20 ballot April 16, 2014